Friday, July 31, 2009

How do I put my iTunes Library on my external hard drive instead of the main one? (local disk C:)?

I don't have enough space on the Local disk C: so I want to put it on my external hard drive. Makes sense right? But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to do it.


I hate iTunes! It's just all so complicated.





Can anyone help me? I've uninstalled the whole iTunes programme and consequently all my songs are gone (they are still in My Music though). But every time I try to install iTunes onto the external hard drive I get an error message and it tells me I need to have Windows XP (and I already have windows XP!)





Help me please?

How do I put my iTunes Library on my external hard drive instead of the main one? (local disk C:)?
iTunes is actually really simple. Just goto your my music directory and right click on the iTunes folder and select "cut". Then hightlight the folder you want to put it in on the external drive and right click and select "paste". This will move all the data to the external drive. Reinstall iTunes on the C drive, this does not take up very much space as it is only the program, not the data. Once you have installed iTunes, open iTunes and say no to all the questions it asks until you get to the iTunes interface.Once there, select edit, then preferences. Goto the advanced tab. In the general tab you will see "iTunes Music Folder Location". Next to the diaglog box select "change..." Now select the "iTunes Music" folder in the external drive as the location. Now restart iTunes and it should use the library that you moved and everything should be there.


Good Luck
Reply:All you have to do is change the music directory to your external hard drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment